Kairos Palestine Statement: The Dire Consequences of Israel’s “Coalition Government”
April 30th, 2020. The board of Kairos Palestine raises an alarm regarding the consequences of the third failed Israeli election in less than a year. The resulting coalition entered on April 20, 2020, combines two of the most right-wing parties—Bennie Gantz’s Blue and White and Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud—in a deal that directly threatens Palestinians’ freedom, health and human rights.
Take away from me the noise of your songs;
I will not listen to the melody of your harps.
But let justice roll down like waters,
and righteousness like an everflowing stream.
Described as an “emergency government” to address the impacts of COVID-19, and under the cover of a so-called “coronavirus cabinet,” the State of Israel is empowered to continue its policies of home demolitions, closures, arrests, child detention and settler violence.
- As a result of the political arrangement, Gantz gave up his campaign promise to amend Israel’s Nation-State Law which legalizes institutional discrimination in Israel, East Jerusalem and the West Bank.
- In the deal for a joint government, Gantz relinquished his commitment not to pursue annexation in the West Bank without international consensus, freeing Netanyahu to pursue his long-standing promise to annex substantial portions of the West Bank as early as July 1.
- While the “emergency government” may only take up legislation related to the corona virus, an exception was agreed upon to consider bills related to U.S. President Trump’s so-called Deal of the Century.
- According to international law, an occupier is mandated to see to the health and welfare of the occupied, but a lack of medical supplies, the complete blockade of Gaza, Israel’s control of the Palestinian economy and increased restrictions on movement put Palestinians at a greater risk of suffering from COVID-19.
In the struggle, Kairos Palestine calls on people of faith and all those of conscience around the world to:
- Plead with your elected representatives to hold the State of Israel accountable to international law and human rights;
- Demand that your governments do not recognize Israel’s annexations of East Jerusalem and the Syrian Golan and that your governments express their disapproval of Israel’s further plans of annexation;
- Insist that governments around the world and the Security Council of the United Nations wait no longer to take concrete measures to pressure Israel to comply with the clear resolutions—already taken by the United Nations—regarding the obligations of the State of Israel and what is due to Palestinians;
- Protect Palestinians’—and all people’s—right to resist, including Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, until Israel complies with its obligations as an occupying power.
Our plea is rooted in what is described in the Kairos Palestine document as “the logic of love”—a concern for the life and future of both peoples with a firm hope for the day when both oppressor and oppressed create a new society for all the people of the land.