Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 14th February
The “Great March of Return” continues along the border between Gaza and Israel. Two teenage boys; Hassan Shalabi, aged 14 and Hamza Muhammad Ishteiwi, aged 17, were killed by Israeli live fire. Israeli forces continue to use live fire, tear gas, and skunk water against protestors on a weekly basis.
- God of life, we pray for children and young people caught up in terror beyond their understanding or control. We pray for those who have been killed, maimed, bereaved; those who have had their future torn away from them; those whose lives are bleak, lacking opportunity, mobility and hope. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On the 7th February, Israeli occupation forces demolished the Bedouin village of al-Araqib in the Negev desert, southern Israel, for the 140th time. This is the second time in two weeks that the village has been demolished leaving families without shelter during winter rains.
- Lord, we thank you for the courage and stubbornness of the people as they continue to rebuildand refuse to be forced out of their land. We pray that you will help the Israeli decision makers accept that truth and justice always triumph over the power of violence. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The World Council of Churches (WCC) Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine and Israel (EAPPI) programme has withdrawn all accompaniers from Hebron on a temporary basis. This is due to increasing violence from settlers and Israeli occupation forces. On the 7th of February, Rabbis for Human Rights walked in solidarity with accompaniers through Hebron and have agreed to hold meetings with the Jewish community with the aim of allowing EAPPI to return.
- We thank God for this program and the support given to it by other organisations in spite of the harassment and violence incurred. We pray that the situation in Hebron will soon allow accompaniers to return and continue their vital work. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The Canadian government has revoked the charity status of a Jewish organisation following a government audit that found it has funded Israeli military projects and settlements in the occupied West Bank.
- Lord, we pray that the example of the Canadian government becomes a beacon for all who stand for justice. May organisations who fund illegal military or civil actions be granted the grace to realise the wrong in their ways. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The Sabeel Wave of Prayer and a number of our publications are now translated into nine languages thanks to volunteers from around the world.
- Lord, we give you praise for all our friends around the world who support us in many varied capacities, including those who faithfully pray with us using this Wave of Prayer. Please bless them and all their loved ones. We give thanks for their continuous commitment and warm friendship, asking you to strengthen our fellowship with them in the work for justice and peace. Lord, in your mercy…
On Friday 15th February, Sabeel will hold a meeting for local Bible Study facilitators in Jericho.
- Lord, we thank you for the gifts and commitment of the leaders within the community who continue to reach out to others through their faith. Send your spirit to watch over those attending this training day and help them to hear the message you would like them to hear.Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The Kumi Now initiative continues this week with the Mossawa Centre and their topic of discrimination against Arab citizens of Israel. Kumi Now encourages you to read the information and then act by writing to your foreign ministry with the message “I demand that Israel recognize the rights of Arab citizens and the rights of allpeople to be together with whom they choose.”
- Loving Lord we pray for Mossawa Centre and their work supporting Arab citizens of Israel. Bless those taking part in Kumi Now and encourage them in their support for the Palestinian people.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for Austria, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayers.