Sabeel Wave of Prayer – Thursday 21st March
Sabeel Wave of Prayer
21st of March, 2019
The 51st ‘Great March of Return’ protest was postponed in order to save the lives of protestors, after a flare-up with Israel the night before when rockets were fired from Gaza towards Tel Aviv.
The Hamas government in Gaza raided several homes and arrested dozens of Palestinians who took part in mass protests against the rise in taxes. Hundreds of Palestinians from the besieged Gaza Strip continue to take to streets in demand of better standers of living and economic conditions.
• Lord, we continue to pray for the right to protest peacefully in Gaza without threat from Israeli forces or those of the Hamas government. Grant all sides the wisdom and graciousness to seek a peaceful solution to all hostilities. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
This week the Kumi Now initiative focuses on the work of Al-Haq, which seeks to raise awareness of how the Israeli occupation of the Palestinian Territories affects their access to natural resources. Palestinians living in this area have limited access to fertile land, minerals and quarries and often have to buy water. Palestinian development is obstructed, while illegal Israeli settlements proliferate into their land and prosper at their expense.
· Lord, we pray that Israel stops the theft of Palestinian resources, the resources you have given to our land. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
· We praise God for all mothers, especially for Palestinian mothers who live under occupation; they endure more than their fair share of trouble, often without recognition of their consistent efforts for the survival of their families and communities. We give thanks for all people who nurture one another toward greater understanding, strength, and love of life. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Thursday, March 21st, the first day of Spring, is Mother’s Day in Palestine.
A young Australian citizen with extremist views has shot and killed 50 people and wounded 50 others who were worshipping peacefully in two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
• Lord, we pray for those who have been wounded in this violent attack and for families grieving for those who have been killed. We pray for an end to all forms of racism including Islamophobia around the world but especially in New Zealand as they come to terms with the aftermath of this outburst of hatred. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
• Lord, we pray for all those affected by the sudden loss of income. We pray that decision makers in Israel may recognize the impact of their policies on the lives of Palestinians and that they will restore Palestinian funds they have withheld. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The Palestinian Authority, (PA), will only be paying their civil servants half of their monthly salaries for the month of February. This decision has come about because Israel has chosen to withhold the tax revenues it collects for the PA, which make up the largest part of the PA’s budget.
In the first week of March the young Swedish singer and peace activist, Divina Levrini died. She had been a passionate advocate for Palestine and had been a crew member of the Freedom flotilla in 2018.
• Lord, we thank you for the life of Divina and pray for her family and friends as they mourn her loss. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Sabeel has recently organized two general meetings for different Bible study groups for women In Zababdeh and in Jericho. Sabeel Nazareth have launched a book by Patriarch Michel Sabah.
• Lord, we are thankful that these women have been able to meet and study your word together. We pray that they may be strengthened in their faith. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
At this time of year Christians in Jerusalem and around the world keep a forty-day period of fasting and prayer for Lent leading up to Holy Week.
• Lord Jesus, we remember how you fasted for forty days as you overcame the temptation in the wilderness before your public ministry began. We are so thankful for your faithfulness. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
• We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.