Sabeel Wave of Prayer – Thursday 28th March
Two Palestinians were killed by Israeli live gunfire during the ‘Great March of Return’ which took place along the Gaza/Israeli border on Friday. Fifty-five other Palestinians were wounded.
· Lord, we pray for all those who were wounded and for the families of Nidal Shatat and Jehad Monier, as they mourn their loss. We pray for a peaceable end to the blockade of Gaza. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
This week’s Kumi Now initiative focuses on the work of Aid Watch Palestine(AWP). This is an independent Palestinian organization which seeks to stimulate and channel international aid effectively. It has recently helped farmers in Gaza to access aid after 29% of agricultural land in Gaza was destroyed by the 2014 Israeli bombardment.
· Lord, we pray for the work of organizations like AWP, which seek to help those in need and to make good use of precious resources. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Friday, the 22nd of March, 8,000 Palestinian and international visitors set off on the seventh annual Free Movement Palestine Marathon in the occupied West Bank city of Bethlehem. The route took the runners from the Church of the Nativity in Manger Square, along the separation wall, through the Aida refugee camp and by al-Khader village.
· Dear Lord, we are thankful that so many Palestinians, andinternationals, were able to participate in the marathon in Bethlehem. We pray that Palestinians will once again have the freedom to move across their lands without being forced to cross checkpoints and walls, or denied access to agricultural land, roads and settlements. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Israeli bulldozers demolished a building which was still under construction at the site of al-Razi School in Shufat refugee camp in occupied East Jerusalem on Tuesday, the 19th of March. The building was planned as a kindergarten and elementary school for 400 pupils from the camp, who now have nowhere else to attend.
· Lord Jesus, you showed such care for children in your life on earth. We pray for the Palestinian children whose lives are confined to refugee camps and who suffer deprivation and abuse from the government which should be caring for them. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
President Trump announced on Thursday, the 21st of March, that the US will declare the occupied Golan Heights to be Israeli territory. For the past fifty years previous US administrations have viewed the Golan Heights as occupied Syrian territory, in line with the United Nations Security Council resolutions.
· Lord, we pray that governments and lawmakers throughout the world will raise their voices in protest at this provocative move against international law. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Sabeel has held an educational trip for women in the community to visit Palestinian villages which were depopulated in 1948 including Iqrit and Kufr Bir’am.
• Lord, we continue to pray for the staff and volunteers of Sabeel. We give thanks for those who are willing to stand up and call for justice, even under the threat of reprisals. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
• We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia. https://www.oikoumene.org/en/resources/prayer-cycle
Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.