Wave of Prayer – Thursday 18th July
The ‘Great March of Return’ and ‘Breaking the Siege’ protests continued on Friday. At least 34 Palestinians were injured by live bullets and many others by rubber-coated rounds when Israeli forces attacked thousands of protesters taking part in the weekly Great March of Return at Gaza-Israel border. Tensions were particularly high due to the killing, on Thursday by Israeli forces, of Mahmoud al-Adham who was trying to prevent youths approaching the fence.
- Lord, we continue to pray for the safety of the protestors who courageously demand to have the right of refugees to go home implemented. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer
This week the Kumi Now initiative focuses on the Israeli organization of Zochrot and the right for Palestinian refugees to return to their homes. You are invited to read the information about Zochrot and exposé on the Jewish National Fund. The Kumi Action invites you to watch the documentary “A Village Under the Forest” and spread the information of how a state buries the truth under trees.
- Lord, give strength and courage to those engaging with the Kumi Now initiative that they may engage fully this week and the Kumi action. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers
On Saturday, Israeli navy boats attacked Palestinian fishermen near Rafah in the south of the Gaza Strip, they detained two fishermen and seized their boat after firing live bullets at the boat. The boats are owned by Mohammad and his brother Ahmad Bardawil. Gaza fishermen report daily harassment by the Israeli navy, which prevents them from doing their work and earning a decent living.
- Lord, we continue to pray for the safety of all the people of Palestine who try to make a living under the reality of a brutal military occupation. Lord in your mercy… hear our prayers
Israel is refusing to issue work permits for international academics working at Palestinian universities in the occupied West Bank and is escalating a harsh visa policy that is forcing them to abandon their students and leave the country. Birzeit University, Al-Haq, and Adalah – The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel, are demanding an immediate halt to this policy targeting Palestinian academic freedom and isolating Palestinian institutions of higher learning.
- Lord, you are the teacher of all the people and generations. We are reminded of the attempts of the powerful who tried to challenge your ministry of spreading the message of equality, justice and liberation and are determined not to give in to intimidations. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Six United Nations Special Rapporteurs issued a joint letter to Israel, raising serious concerns about the Israeli government’s plans to forcibly displace 36,000 Bedouin citizens of Israel living in the Naqab/Negev desert.
- Lord, we continue to pray not to lose hope that the powerful will let go of hate and racism, and the poor will remain steadfast and resilient. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Adalah is calling on the municipality in the Israeli city of Afula to cancel its ban on non-city residents entering city parks. “We know that this policy is intended to prevent the entry of residents from Arab communities near the city,” Adalah, whose legal team is arguing the case, said in a statement. Two different TV stations performed undercover work and documented Jews – non-residents of Afula – entering the park unbridled, even after telling the gatekeepers that they were not residents.
- Lord, help all to see the ugliness of racism and discrimination. We give thanks to all people of good will who are brave and patient to challenge the systems of oppression to bring about your will of inclusivity and justice. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
In Jerusalem, a group of settlers attacked the closing ceremony for the Terra Sancta Summer camp. The summer camp hosted over 360 children aged 3-14 from different Church communities in Jerusalem. Israeli settlers threw eggs at the audience and injuring a number of the children and guests.
- Lord, we pray that the people who have terrorized the innocent children be held accountable. We pray for an end to the Israeli military occupation that allows extremism and racism to flourish. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Djibouti and Somalia. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.