The Sainsbury’s Campaign
The Sainsbury’s Campaign is calling on groups across the UK to endorse the campaign statement below, which serves as the political basis for the campaign.
Sainsbury’s: end trade with companies complicit in occupation
We call on J. Sainsbury plc (Sainsbury’s) to stop sourcing agricultural produce from companies that participate in and are associated with Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land and violations of human rights and international law.
Israel violates Palestinian rights by:
- building illegal settlements, or colonies, on occupied Palestinian land for the exclusive use of Israeli Jews who are citizens of the occupying power;
- expropriating and exploiting the natural resources to meet the needs of these colonies and by establishing farms and factories on Palestinian land;
- profiting from the occupation and the expropriation of natural resources at the expense of the Palestinians, the occupied people;
- attacking farmers and fishermen and continuing a siege on Gaza that creates food shortages and prevents farmers from accessing basic equipment or exporting fresh produce;
- displacing Palestinians from their land by force and destroying their homes, crops and livelihood;
- establishing and enforcing a system of dispossession and discrimination, described by Archbishop Desmond Tutu as apartheid.
Agricultural export companies that trade with and operate inside Israel’s illegal colonies are complicit in Israel’s occupation and violations of Palestinian rights. In effect, these companies help to finance Israel’s continued colonisation of Palestinian land. Many illegal colonies are only economically viable because companies operating in them are able to trade with European supermarkets like Sainsbury’s.
These companies are also complicit in the destruction of Palestinian farming, the environmental destruction of Palestinian land and the abuse of Palestinian workers’ rights.
Sainsbury’s promotes itself as a leader in Fair Trade and claims to source its products “with integrity” yet sources fruit and vegetables from companies such as Mehadrin and EDOM, known to be complicit in Israel’s occupation and violations of Palestinian rights.
The Cooperative Retail Group has already stated that it will not do business with companies that are complicit in Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land. Sainsbury’s should follow this lead.
We support the appeal from Palestinian civil society to campaign for the end of agricultural trade with Israel that finances and rewards the destruction of Palestinian farming. We stand in solidarity with the Palestinian struggle for freedom, justice and equality.
We call on Sainsbury’s to end trade with any supplier of produce that participates in and is associated with Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land and violations of human rights and international law. We urge supporters of human rights and food sovereignty to join us in doing so.
Brighton & Hove Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Bristol Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Cambridge Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Cardiff Trades Council
Chelmsford & District Trades Union Council
Chesterfield PSC (part of Pro-Peace Chesterfield)
Cumbernauld & Kilsyth Trades Council
Dumfries Trades Union Council
Dundee Trades Union Council
Friends of Al Aqsa
Friends of the Earth Scotland
Halifax Friends of Palestine
Humberside Friends of Palestine
The Iona Community
International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network UK
Kilmarnock and Loudoun Trades Union Council
Lancaster Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Leeds Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Liverpool Friends of Palestine BDS Group
Merton Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Midlands Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Midlothian Trades Union Council
Norwich & District Trades Union Council
Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Scotland Against Criminalising Communities
Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Sheffield Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Tayside for Justice in Palestine
West Surrey PSC
White Horse (Wiltshire) Trades Union Council
York Palestine Solidarity Campaign