Wave of Prayer – Thursday 12th December
Sixty-Four Palestinian civilians, including 19 children, a paramedic, and 4 women; one of them was a paramedic, were shot and injured by Israeli occupation forces’ (IOF) fire against peaceful protestors at the 83rd Great March of Return (GMR), this Friday, 06 December 2019.
- Lord, we continue to pray for the people of Gaza as they raise their voices in protest. May your will be done so that all the people of this land may come to enjoy the fruits of a just peace. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
This week’s Kumi Now Initiative looks at the work of Al-Marsad, the Arab Human Rights’ Centre in the Golan Heights. Al-Marsad seeks to protect the human rights of 20,000 Syrians, mostly Druze Arabs, living in the Golan Heights. Decades of US policy was overturned in March 2019 when President Trump recognised Israeli sovereignty over the area. There are now more than thirty Israeli settlements in the area, which are considered illegal under international law.
- Dear Lord, we pray for Al-Marsad and for all those who work to defend the human rights of those who have no voice of their own. We pray that the Israeli government will stop using the anti-boycott law as a repressive measure to silence any group that attempts to uncover human rights abuses. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Sabeel Jerusalem is thankful for all the hard work and goodwill of the participants (from seventeen countries) in the first Sabeel International Gathering, (2nd-7th December). We wish to express our thanks to the interfaith Al Liqa Centre, to Kairos Palestine, to Musalaha, to the Bethlehem Bible College, to Passia, to Dar Al Kalima University College in Bethlehem, and to all the friends and workers from Sabeel Jerusalem.
- Dear Lord, we are thankful for the care and effort of so many people as they focused on the International Gathering to help bring about a just and nonviolent change to the lives of Palestinians living under occupation. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Sabeel holds its annual Ecumenical Christmas Dinner on Saturday, 14th December in Jerusalem.
- We pray for the Sabeel Ecumenical Christmas dinner on Saturday. Local clergy from different denominations, international workers, and community members from all walks of life will gather for fellowship, food, and music. We pray that God will be glorified by our celebration. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Thousands gathered to attend the lighting of the giant Christmas tree outside the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem on Saturday, the 1st of December. A firework display and festivities accompanied the annual ceremony in Manger Square.
- Dear Lord Jesus, Immanuel, our hearts are full of joy and thankfulness in this Advent season as we celebrate your humble birth in a stable in Bethlehem. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Four journalists from the Palestinian Authorities’ official television station in Jerusalem were detained by the Israeli police on Friday, the 6th of December. The television crew were filming for the daily ‘Good Morning Jerusalem’ show outside Jerusalem’s Old City. They were detained for four hours and then released. Israeli police claimed the show breached Israel’s sovereignty over the city.
- Lord we pray for journalists in the Holy Land trying to stand for freedom of expression at their own personal risk. We pray for the repeal of repressive laws in Israel. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Wednesday, the 4th of December an exhibition of the work of an internationally acclaimed Palestinian cartoonist, Mohammed Saba’aneh was removed without authorisation from the World Forum in Ramallah. Saba’aneh’s work expresses in stark black and white drawings the abuses his countrymen suffer under the Israeli occupation.
- Dear Lord, we thank you for the gift of artistic expression and the ability of artists to give insights and portray deep emotion through their work. We pray that the voice of the artist will not be stifled in the Holy Land. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.