Wave of Prayer – Thursday 9th April
Maundy Thursday, 9th April 2020
This week marks the re-launch of the Kumi Now initiative. Active members of the initiative may find it helpful to plan ahead for future activities, while new members may want to familiarise themselves with the calendar of activities in the Launch Manual or on the website.
- Lord, we pray for all those called to engage in peaceful activism to bring about change to the oppressive conditions endured by so many living in Palestine. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
As COVID-19 Coronavirus continues to ravage the world, medical staff continue to put themselves and their families at risk to care for those most in need. Staff in supermarkets, pharmacies, and other businesses considered essential continue to work in order to serve our needs.
- Lord of healing, we pray for those working in medicine and other essential services. Cast your net of protection, healing, and strength over them as they continue to work at this extremely challenging time. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
The Palestinian people continue to live in fear and under occupation and oppression. Workers returning to their homes in the West Bank from work in Israel and illegal settlements are testing positive for the Coronavirus and Israeli occupation forces continue with night raids and demolitions in the West Bank and East Jerusalem. Gaza continues to suffer under blockade and medical staff fear that if there is an outbreak, they will not be able to cope.
- O God, at this time of increased fear and isolation we pray that the international community will respond actively to those calling for the end of occupation and blockade. Be with all those in fear both from the virus and of occupation and oppression. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
In response to the challenge of a critical lack of ventilators in hospitals throughout Palestine, Al-Quds University have succeeded in producing a fully computerized ventilator from materials readily available in the local area. The ventilator has passed preliminary thorough medical testing and it is hoped that final approval will be given this week.
- Lord, we give thanks for all of those working to find solutions to the shortage of medical equipment around the world. We especially give thanks for those in Palestine who, with limited resources, are able to creatively think and create lifesaving machines. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Friends of Sabeel North America (FOSNA) are inviting everyone to “(Virtually) spend Easter in Jerusalem with Sabeel.” On Saturday 11th April at 9am PST everyone is invited to “join our Sabeel elders from Jerusalem as they share lessons of liberation and spiritual survival in the midst of continued dispossession, health crises, and international chaos.” (http://fosna.nationbuilder.com/easter_20)
- Lord, we pray that this simulcast of prayers, readings, and hymns will bring people together during this Easter time in isolation. Grant that those who join will be enlightened by information and strengthened by worship. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
At this time of Easter and Passover it is harder than ever to be separated from our communities and those we love.
- Lord God, Jesus cried out to you on the cross, “Why have you forsaken me?” You seemed so far from his cry and from his distress. Around the world, we are all now in a time of great distress, grant us your peace and strength that we may take the resurrecting and freeing message of the Passion and look forward to a time when we are again free to meet one another. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the Word Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Easter Sunday (Year A)
bless us this morning with resurrection rampage—
a rampage that summons us to shout yes
to the birth of new creation in our midst.
May we experience the birth of new life
in our lives and in a world free from occupation.
The Son is up!
And we are up with the Son,
despite all those things
that seek to pull us down to despair.
We are your Easter people.