Sabeel Wave of Prayer
Wave of Prayer – Thursday 18th July
The ‘Great March of Return’ and ‘Breaking the Siege’ protests continued on Friday. At least 34 Palestinians were injured by live bullets and many others by rubber-coated rounds when Israeli forces attacked thousands of protesters taking part in the weekly Great March of Return at Gaza-Israel border. Tensions were particularly high due to the killing, on Thursday by Israeli forces, of Mahmoud al-Adham who was trying to prevent youths approaching the fence.
- Lord, we continue to pray for the safety of the protestors who courageously demand to have the right of refugees to go home implemented. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayer
This week the Kumi Now initiative focuses on the Israeli organization of Zochrot and the right for Palestinian refugees to return to their homes. You are invited to read the information about Zochrot and exposé on the Jewish National Fund. The Kumi Action invites you to watch the documentary “A Village Under the Forest” and spread the information of how a state buries the truth under trees.
- Lord, give strength and courage to those engaging with the Kumi Now initiative that they may engage fully this week and the Kumi action. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers
On Saturday, Israeli navy boats attacked Palestinian fishermen near Rafah in the south of the Gaza Strip, they detained two fishermen and seized their boat after firing live bullets at the boat. The boats are owned by Mohammad and his brother Ahmad Bardawil. Gaza fishermen report daily harassment by the Israeli navy, which prevents them from doing their work and earning a decent living.
- Lord, we continue to pray for the safety of all the people of Palestine who try to make a living under the reality of a brutal military occupation. Lord in your mercy… hear our prayers
Israel is refusing to issue work permits for international academics working at Palestinian universities in the occupied West Bank and is escalating a harsh visa policy that is forcing them to abandon their students and leave the country. Birzeit University, Al-Haq, and Adalah – The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel, are demanding an immediate halt to this policy targeting Palestinian academic freedom and isolating Palestinian institutions of higher learning.
- Lord, you are the teacher of all the people and generations. We are reminded of the attempts of the powerful who tried to challenge your ministry of spreading the message of equality, justice and liberation and are determined not to give in to intimidations. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Six United Nations Special Rapporteurs issued a joint letter to Israel, raising serious concerns about the Israeli government’s plans to forcibly displace 36,000 Bedouin citizens of Israel living in the Naqab/Negev desert.
- Lord, we continue to pray not to lose hope that the powerful will let go of hate and racism, and the poor will remain steadfast and resilient. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Adalah is calling on the municipality in the Israeli city of Afula to cancel its ban on non-city residents entering city parks. “We know that this policy is intended to prevent the entry of residents from Arab communities near the city,” Adalah, whose legal team is arguing the case, said in a statement. Two different TV stations performed undercover work and documented Jews – non-residents of Afula – entering the park unbridled, even after telling the gatekeepers that they were not residents.
- Lord, help all to see the ugliness of racism and discrimination. We give thanks to all people of good will who are brave and patient to challenge the systems of oppression to bring about your will of inclusivity and justice. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
In Jerusalem, a group of settlers attacked the closing ceremony for the Terra Sancta Summer camp. The summer camp hosted over 360 children aged 3-14 from different Church communities in Jerusalem. Israeli settlers threw eggs at the audience and injuring a number of the children and guests.
- Lord, we pray that the people who have terrorized the innocent children be held accountable. We pray for an end to the Israeli military occupation that allows extremism and racism to flourish. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Djibouti and Somalia. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Wave of Prayer – Thursday 11th July
The ‘Great March of Return’ and ‘Breaking the Siege’ protests continued on Friday. Reports state that 95 people were injured by Israeli forces, including 33 children, 1 journalist, and 4 women, one of whom was a volunteer medic. The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) has documented that Israeli soldiers have killed 207 Palestinians, including 44 children, 2 women and 9 Palestinians with special needs, in addition to 4 medics and 2 journalists, since March 30th, 2018. According to Protocol 1 of the Geneva Convention, it is illegal to target civilians, which Israel has been doing since the outset of the demonstrations.
- Lord, we continue to pray for the people of Gaza as they raise their voices in protest. May your will be done so that all the people of this land may come to enjoy the fruits of a just peace. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The Israeli election campaigns have begun over the last few days in preparation for the September rerun election. Far-right Israeli party Otzma Yehudit (Jewish Power) launched its campaign by calling for Palestinians to be expelled ‘to their countries of origin’. Party head Michael Ben Ari told the audience that, “we want to resettle our enemies in their countries… we’ll give them a bottle of mineral water and even a sandwich. We’ll find them countries of origin they can go to.”
- We pray for respect between peoples and religions. In the week when the Otzma Yehudit party said the Palestinians should be expelled from this land of the Holy One, we pray that all right-thinking people will condemn such words and turn our energies to seeking justice for all, which can also lead us on the path to peace and reconciliation. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Israeli authorities are requiring all high school students – Jewish and Arab – to pass an online government propaganda course that promotes racist ideology before they are allowed to participate in overseas class trips, according to Adalah – The Legal Centre for Arab Minority Rights in Israel, which is now taking legal action to fight this racist practice. Questions include “How do Palestinian organisations use digital social networks?” from the four optional answers, the one seen as correct is “encouraging violence.” Another question asks students to identify the origins of modern anti-Semitism. The exam’s correct answer is “Muslim organizations” and “the BDS movement.”
- Lord, we pray for all high school students as they embark on overseas trips with their class or with summer schools. We pray that a time will come soon when their lives are free from the racist ideology promoted by the current Israeli government and for groups such as Adalah, who are working to bring this future to reality. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
This week the Kumi Now initiative focuses on Sabeel-Kairos UK and Morally-Responsible Investing. You are invited to read the information about Sabeel-Kairos UK, the topic of Morally-Responsible investing, and the case study. The Kumi Action invites you to write to your church and ask them if they have an ethical investment screen in place and whether they invest in organisations which support the occupation or oppression of Palestine.
- Lord, give strength and courage to those engaging with the Kumi Now initiative that they may engage fully with this week and the Kumi action. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Attacks by illegal settlers in Hebron continue daily. On Saturday, 6th July illegal settlers assaulted 10-year-old Raed Tamimi while Israeli occupation soldiers stood looking on, leaving him requiring hospital treatment for lacerations and bruises. Raed’s father said that he was heading to his pottery shop in the Old City, after returning from the markets’ area in Hebron, and then asked his child to carry some items to take them home in the southern part of the city.
- Lord, we pray for the Palestinian residents of Hebron, particularly the children who are witnessing harassment and aggression on a day-to-day basis. We pray that these attacks from the Israeli settlers will cease as the physical and mental injury they cause are leading to unknowable damage for the future hopes of Palestinians. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Monday 8th July, Sabeel Jerusalem will hold a Bible study for Jerusalem women led by Sabeel founding member Cedar Duaybis.
- Lord, we are thankful for the continuing Sabeel contextual bible study sessions with the community in Palestine. We, specifically, raise before you the commitment of the women who will meet at Sabeel Jerusalem. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayers.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Eritrea and Ethiopia. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Wave of Prayer – Thursday 27th June 2019
Wave of Prayer – Thursday 20th June 2019
Wave of Prayer – Thursday 13th June 2019
Wave of Prayer – Thursday 6th June 2019
Wave of Prayer – Thursday 30th May 2019
Wave of Prayer – Thursday 23 May 2019
Sabeel Wave of Prayer – Thursday 16th May 2019
Wave of Prayer – Thursday 9th May 2019
Sabeel Wave of Prayer – Thursday 2nd May 2019
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 25th April
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 19th April
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 11th April
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 4th April
Sabeel Wave of Prayer – Thursday 28th March
Sabeel Wave of Prayer – Thursday 21st March
Sabeel Wave of Prayer – 14th March 2019
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- 7th March 2019
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 28th February
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 21st February
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 14th February
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 31st January 2019
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 24th January
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- Thursday 17th January 2019
Sabeel Wave of Prayer- 10th of January 2019
Sabeel Wave of Prayer – Thursday 3rd January 2019